I am an educator, child life specialist, social worker and writer, whose passion is anything that supports children’s development and healing in the face of everyday life or trauma. I specialize in helping children and families cope with hospitalization, chronic illness and loss. My mission is to prevent and mitigate trauma through coaching the adult caregivers who support children facing medical encounters of themselves or loved ones -- which includes well children facing routine medical encounters. I consult with parents, teachers, and hospital personnel to provide support for children. I promote open-ended, child-centered play in hospitals, schools and at home.
What I Do
My speciality is play – everything about play that supports developing children, especially those effected by illness or loss. I am available online and in person in New York City to:
- Coach and support parents in how to prepare their children for medical events, from routine wellness appointments to surgery or longterm treatment.
- Provide guidance for how to support siblings when a child is ill
- Provide guidance and support for how to support children through a parent’s serious illness.
- Teach play skills to caregivers and healthcare professionals who wish to connect more with children in this digital age.
- Provide staff development and support to teachers whose students face illness and loss.
- Provide in person or online clinical supervision to working child life specialists.
- Teach play skills to child life students, teachers and healthcare professionals.
- Public speaking at conferences and training in the USA and abroad (Mexico, New Zealand, Palestinian Territories, Czech Republic, Japan).